March 08, 2013

Crafting with Barb

When I saw this photo on Pinterest, I swooned! I used to decorate cakes and I know how much work this must have taken.  But as a card maker, I saw inspiration in color and design!  That's when I sent it over to my dear friend, Barb Engler, a most talented card maker in her own right! And I knew she was on vacation this week, so we hatched a plan to create together!

We decided to spend the afternoon on speaker phone (will learn to Skype VERY soon!) and craft together, using this beautiful photo as our inspiration.  We live half way across the country from each other, but it was like being in the same room.  We both bounced ideas off each other - even though our styles are so different.  I usually go more literal with an interpretation and she is more visual.  This time, for some reason, it was in reverse.

We are hoping to do this again very soon, because it is such a great way to get those creative juices flowing!
Pinterest

Here is my interpretation, but you should see Barb's!  Head on over to her blog, Enjoying Life, to see her AMAZING card!

Crafting with Barb 

I had a new Hero Arts stamp, Flowers and Stripes K5765, that was begging to be used.  I inked it up with the inspiration colors using distress stains Broken China, Shaded Lilac, and Squeezed Lemonade.  I then sprayed it with water.  I wanted a watercolor effect.  When dried, I stamped the Spring Memories stamp over it using Hero Arts mid-tone shadow ink Cornflower.

Finding colored paper that matched the photo was not as easy as I thought, but I found a piece of Core'dinations in the celery green for the image card blank. But I had to ink up a piece of Hero Arts snow layering paper in Tumbled Glass (thanks for the idea, Barb!) for the background piece.  It seemed to fit the bill!  I found the perfect embossing folder to emulate the circles in the photo and mounted my image on top of it with pop dots.

Next I created the flower using another piece of Core'dinations and a My Favorite Things flower die called Prima Dona Petals.  I set it off to the side and in the center of the image as in the inspiration photo.  I finished it all off by mounting it on white cardstock.  All in all, I'm pleased with how it turned out.  Most importantly, I loved spending the day with Barb getting inky!

What we would like to do is invite everyone to join in the fun using our photo inspiration to create a card and then post it to the Flickr Hero Arts Group forum.  Barb has posted a thread where you can add your photos too, as well as posting in the Flickr photostream.  That way we can see all the creations in one post.  No need to tag your photo with anything other than your stamps.  We do ask that you use a Hero Arts stamp for your main image, and not just a sentiment or embellishment. And for extra fun, we are both having a little giveaway.  Create a card by March 15th, 11:00 PM CST, 11:59 PM EST and we will each draw a name randomly! 
We are REALLY looking forward to seeing what you create!  Have fun and Happy Spring!

As always, I enjoy reading your comments!  Thanks!


Pin It

No comments:

Blogging tips